Malaysia Tourism Excellence (MaTEx) Business Certification Programme By Tourism Productivity Nexus (TPN)
Malaysia Tourism Excellence (MaTEx) Business Certification Programme is a newly developed industry level certification scheme. It is a programme “by the industry, for the industry” aims to grow tourism micro, small and medium companies, improve the quality of tourism products and delivery, and subsequently enhance tourists’ trust and confidence in our tourism products.
- MaTEx is an industry level certification programme for tourism products and services, comprises five newly developed standards for travel agencies, adventure tourism, product/site operators/owners, event management companies, and MICE/event venues.
- Each category of standards has approximately between 100 to 150 indicators or requirements to comply with in order to be certified under MaTEx.
- MaTEx aims to grow tourism businesses to the next level, improve the quality of tourism products and services, and subsequently enhance tourists’ trust and confidence in Malaysia’s tourism products and services. The programme also aims to recognise quality tourism products and services.
- MaTEx is Initiative T2 from five (5) initiatives at sectoral level for tourism industry as stipulated in Malaysia Productivity Blueprint, undertaken by Tourism Productivity Nexus (TPN). TPN is one of the nine (9) industry-led nexuses under the purview of Malaysia Productivity Corporation (MPC).
- The development of the certification programme and its standards has been overseen by Encik Uzaidi Udanis, Champion Tourism Productivity Nexus, and Dato’ Noor Zaleha Baharuddin, Leader for Initiative T2 and the first Chairperson of MaTEx’s Certification Committee.
- Tagged as a certification programme “by the industry, for the industry”, MaTEx’s standards and implementation plan were developed by TPN’s Technical Working Groups, comprising industry players who are experts in the specific fields of the standards.
- MaTEx’s started its development in April 2019. Its pilot project takes the months of August, September, and October 2019. A soft launch on 9 August 2019 kickstarts the programme’s pilot project. MaTEx is scheduled to be officially launched at the end of October upon completion of its pilot project.
- MaTEx is supported by the Ministry of Tourism, Arts and Culture where through meetings and discussions, the Ministry has shared insights and comments to strengthen the standards and implementation of the certification programme.